I love to try out new recipes. But I often begin flipping through my cookbooks at the very moment I have to start cooking. And as you might have guessed, I have to substitute ingredients, because I don’t have everything required for that particular recipe at hand. Or I have to substitute about half of the ingredients to make a recipe work with my intolerances. With these fish tacos it was a little bit of both. I had made the recipe before, but when I wanted to cook it again, some of the ingredients in the original recipe were hard to find. Also, I had to work around a huge amount of garlic. And when I was about to make the tacos, I had already finished some of the produce. Despite, or perhaps thanks to, all these improvisations the result was better than the original. So long story short, feel free to use this recipe – or all my recipes for that matter – as a guideline, and alter them to your own preferences.
12 crispy taco shells
30ml sesame oil
30ml dark soy
juice of 1/2 lime
2tsp sweet chilli sauce
400g purple cabbage
60ml rice wine vinegar
juice of 1 lime
200g red bell pepper
20g fresh mint leaves
juice of 1 lime
- Get a bowl that is large enough to fit the all the fish in, but don't place the fish in it just yet. First we will make the marinade. In order to do that, place 30ml sesame oil, 30ml dark soy sauce, juice of 1/2 lime and 2tsp sweet chilli sauce in the bowl and whisk until emulsified. Now place the cod in the bowl and cover the fish with marinade. Marinate the cod in the mixture for 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, shred the cabbage and the carrots and toss together. Make a dressing from 60ml rice wine vinegar, the juice of 1 lime, 20g miso and 80g mayonnaise, and add to the coleslaw.
- Preheat the oven (see taco shell package for instructions) and a skillet.
- Finely dice 200g red bell pepper, 200g mango, 200g cucumber, 1 jalapeño, and 20g fresh mint leaves. Toss them together and mix with juice of 1 lime to make a salsa. Feel free to adjust the amount of jalapeño to taste.
- Prepare the taco shells according to the package.
- Cook the fish 3 to 7minutes, depending on the size.
- Assemble the tacos by placing fish, coleslaw and salsa in it. Enjoy!